The Hammam/Turkish bath at The Oyster Box
03 July 2012
The Oyster Box Spa houses South Africa's only Hammam or Turkish bath (also known as Hammams). Here you can indulge in an array of Hammam experiences; from the Turkish Hammam Ceremony to Durban's Hammam Ceremony offering deep cleansing, relaxing and restoring benefits. These traditional treatments have been designed to work with the unique Hammam environment to raise your body temperature to allow for a deep release, while the heated marble slab induces cleansing warmth. The skin is left clean, bright and smooth and the body feels fresh and relaxed.
- Undress completely (you can wear a bathing suit or underwear if you prefer). Put on the slippers (terlik) and wrap yourself with the Pestemal - pronounced "pesh-te-mal" (linen cloth).
- You're taken to a warm, humid room with a heated, raised stone / marble platform (Goebektas) in the center, surrounded by bathing alcoves
- You lie or sit on the platform for 15 – 20 minutes, to allow your body temperature to rise. The heat opens up the pores and encourages the body to sweat.
- The Kesaci (attendant) will then summon you for your 'Kese' and begin to scrub your body with a 'Kese', a coarse mitt. This removes layers of dead skin and dirt.
- When this procedure is complete, the Kesaci lathers your body with rich olive oil soap while he/she massages your body. The foam of the soap is used for the massage, and nourishes and deep cleans the skin. You won't believe how smooth your skin feels!
- Then you will be rinsed off with warm, fresh water.
- Now you are ready for your oil massage (Please note that not all Hammams offer oil massage). You will be instructed to lie face down on the massage table. Pressure can vary according to your preference. The massage accelerates the blood circulation and removes toxins from the body
- When you are ready, wrap yourself in your Pestemal and you will be escorted to a cool relaxation area.
- Follow this with a cold shower. The Hammam is equipped with a cool sensation shower!
- In eastern countries... Turkish women socialize in the Hammam for hours - and Turkish men can stay all day! Special Bridal ceremonies take place in the Hammam for a bride and her friends.
About The Spa at The Oyster Box
Offering all of the amenities expected of a luxury wellness facility of this calibre, The Spa ensures the highest level of personal care by dedicated, trained staff equipped to deliver the highest levels of spa therapy and pampering. With six modern treatment rooms, two Hydrotherapy Baths, grooming Lounge, Colour Therapy Bed, plunge pool, state-of-the-art private fitness club, infinity pool with garden views and a post-treatment tranquillity lounge, guests are indulged in every way to make them feel celebrated and sensational.
To book a visit to The Spa at The Oyster Box or for any other enquiries please call
+2731 514 5000 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
More info on The Spa at The Oyster Box